Thursday, January 3, 2013

"13 Books in '13"

I am a slow reader and not real apt to New Year Resolutions but I did really want to give myself some goal to work towards this year. 13 books in one year doesn't seem like alot but is for a gal who has a whole lot of textbook to read. Despite the endless pages of nursing knowledge I dig through on a weekly basis, I still desire to be well rounded and have some inspirational, fiction, and theological books under my belt.

This year, 2013, I want to finish 13 books. Simple. Achievable. Succinct.

In Process.

Completed.

1. Holiday Homecoming by Jillian Hart (I am a little embarrassed that my first finished book for 2013 is a sappy holiday easy read but just keeping it real. I like to read at least one of these holiday fictions during Christmas break, whatever I stumble upon on my Overdrive book app. This is probably one of the better ones I have read-still sappy, still predictable, but certainty page turning.)
2. My Sisters the Saints by Colleen Campbell
3. Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI
4.  Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
5. Consoling the Heart of Jesus by Fr. Michael E. Gaitley
6. Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
7. The Perfect Marriage by Kimberla Lawson Roby
8. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
9. Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir by Cara Muhlhahn
10. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling ( I am not even going to waste my time writing a review about this book that is how little I liked it.  I don't really understand how it is on the New York Times Bestseller list.  It has slightly funny moments  but nothing that has me RFL.  I just don't get it.)
11. Let the Fire Fall by Fr. Michael Scanlen
12. Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (Yeap not wasting me time writing about this post either.  I read the whole book and I still don't understand the point.  There is a girl who spends a summer living with her dad, stepmom and colicky half sister.  She stays up till dawn and learns how to read a bike.  Yeap that pretty much sums it up.)
13. My Life with the Saints
14. Prayers of a Stranger by Davis Bunn (Another easy Christmas read.  It just wasn't prudent for me to read a love story when I picked out a Christmas book and this was the perfect story that reminded me of God's faithfulness in the form of a fiction book.  Defiantly one I would recommend.)

1 comment:

  1. Kisses from Katie changed my life. I love her story and her willingness and faithfulness. Great read.

    I had an experience similar to yours with Labor of Love. I didn't love it, but some of the stories were interesting. Might I recommend the book "Baby Catcher"? This is the midwife book by which I judge all others :) The focus is on the births, yet the midwife's own story is woven in beautifully.

    ReplyDelete